Friday, November 10, 2023

"GLIMMERS ARE THE OPPOSITE OF TRIGGERS," bella GRACE Field Guide

 

Crafting at night

Look, here are some writing prompts I found.  I think they're great.  See what you think.

  • "Glimmers are the opposite of triggers; they're small moments that never fail to spark joy in our hearts.  What are your glimmers?" ( bella GRACE  Field Guide)   This one is special to me because I do have triggers.  Maybe we all do, or most of us, of different strengths.   A brief one came my way yesterday when a place that holds bad memories was mentioned.  I crossed my fingers--my own little trigger-management reminder--and went on.  But I never thought about glimmers as their opposite.  I'm going to look for mine and try to call them up when I need a bit of happiness.  Maybe a glimmer can punch an ugly trigger in the nose!  I'm feeling pretty hopeful about this idea.
  • "The 'Sunday Scaries' is a feeling most people deal with.  You feel dread for the week ahead and all its tasks . . . ." (also bella GRACE Field Guide)  I definitely remember this dread from my early practice of law--all I still needed to learn to face the week as a new lawyer.  The only way around was to work on Sundays--the best solution for me (maybe) but certainly not for everyone.   The writing prompt is, "What are all the good things that come with the start of a new week?"  Why didn't I think of that then?  A new week is like a new day, a fresh start.  Maybe we need to face the same old obstacles, but it's a chance to face them in a new way.  Answer the prompt yourself.  See if it helps. 
  • At the end of the day, what was one perfect moment from today?  The day I saw this prompt was a day my younger grandson called and wanted to really talk.  He had taken a bus trip with a friend and they went to a museum.  I won't see him till Christmas, but each phone call--and there are more than I had hoped for--qualifies.   Earlier this week we got an invitation to Thanksgiving dinner from our daughter-in-law--another day, another perfect moment.  I bet you have many too.  But it's nice to recognize them and name them.   Kind of like money in the bank.
  • What are the little things that add more to your life?  I think one point of this prompt is that once you think of these little things, then seek them out and do them more often.  Your list will be as long as mine, so I'll just list a few:  blogging, an afternoon nap, a new tea flavor. 
  • Why might we send a handwritten letter of note?  This prompt makes me nostalgic.  I could only think of a couple of reasons, the main one being someone might want something lovely and personal from us to keep.  I know that I enjoy rereading letters and cards from my mom.  I love to see her beautiful Courgette font handwriting.  Children of her generation practiced their letters in cursive.  Wouldn't we like to create something for the future?  I'd like to give and receive something that shows care.  We could think of it this way:  children love cards for their birthdays, Halloween, Christmas.  What child wants an email?  We can, for the moment, be like children. 
  • It you could spend your life as someone else, who would it be and why?   What's so reassuring about this prompt is that most if not all of us wouldn't want to be someone else at all.  Even with our troubles, we'd rather keep our own than borrow new or unknown ones.  So once we answer, "I wouldn't want to spend my life as anyone but me," the interesting part is why.  All the reasons.  Maybe "I love my family, I wouldn't want a different spouse, I wouldn't really want to be famous."  We begin thinking about what we would lose as someone else rather than what we might gain.   
  • And lastly, again from bella GRACE, certain activities feel like a balm to the soul.  Everyday worries lift and you stay completely in the moment.  "What activities soothe your soul?"  I put being at the beach as #1.  I've noticed that I sing or hum as a walk by the water. Then #2 working in my yard, and #3 collage journaling.  But there are more.   Working on a list of good things is always healthy, it just has to be.  
Santa Barbara Harbor
                                                                                                        From Nina Naomi







No comments:

Post a Comment