Friday, November 26, 2021

SETTING INTENTIONS


What better time to set intentions than during the expanding dark of winter as we head toward the longest night of the year.  January is when we make resolutions:  exercise more, eat healthier, go off-line, work harder, call mom . . . . Spring is for to-do lists:  clean out closets, get in shape for summer, spread new mulch . . . .  Summer is for could-do lists:  take a day off, leave work early, go outdoors, make a salad meal, swim in a lake, play a game . . . .

Intentions are different than resolutions and goals.  Intentions are about how we want to be, not what we need to do. Intentions are not a list of tasks to complete.  Intentions are linked to purpose, peace and joy:  This is who I am.  This is how I want to be.  This is how I can serve. 

Your intention might be to be loving, to be kind to yourself and others, to make good decisions.  To be mindful, or to be in tune with God. Intentions can't be ticked off or crossed out.  Being loving is not "finished," being kind to yourself and others is not "done." To create an intention we reach deep inside ourselves.  Intentions require prayers and petitions, hard thoughts and thankful hearts. With intentions we remind ourselves who is on our side, and that God is. 

Setting an intention is sincerely personal and intangible, like prayer, yet others can see the result in you and you can feel it in yourself.  When you intend to lead by example, for instance, or to not take things personally, others notice.  Your family, your co-workers notice.  At the time of decision, "I will not take this personally," you feel it too.  Your breathing slows, as if in mini-meditation. You relax. 

When we set an intention to look for the good in others, we align ourselves with our values. When someone sees the good in us, we respond, we feel nourished, we expand.  

The Confession of Sins from the Book of Common Prayer is tailor-made to help us set intentions.  I can ask myself, "How do I want to be?" and answer, "I want to be one who loves God with my whole heart and loves my neighbor as myself.  This is my intent."  For all my intentions I can ask God to help and guide me.  

We accomplish goals, but we live with intentions. Intentions are not about possessions, achievements or reputation.  They are a Way. Advent is a good time for these thoughts, for setting our intentions.  After all, we wait for the winter solstice, we wait for Christ's birth.  We have time. We wait. 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment