Monday, September 6, 2021

MAKING A LIFE FROM SCRAPS

My mother made quilts.  She created her own designs and also improvised. Quite a few belong to me.  I'd like to take the worn pieces of my life, the scraps so-to-speak, and see what I can make.  A kind of emotional quilt, since I can't sew.  A new me out of whatever is old, torn and broken.  Actually I've been working on that for awhile, arranging the bits and bobs of my life into a workable me at this stage of my life. The quilting metaphor fits perfectly.  As we all know, if our mothers can do it, so can we!  

Pattern:  Right now we live in a small apartment in a lovely college town.  The furniture is sparse and lighting dim.  The windows have shades and there's a fire escape out the back where we can sit.  I've added plants and fresh flowers in jars, taper candles in soft colors, and twinkle lights where corners are dark.  The fruits and veggies are in bowls on the counter.  We can walk into town and to the museum, past old white houses and overgrown gardens.  Yesterday I bought hair clips at Urban Outfitters and a calico face mask on the street.  Today we ate pasta outdoors at a table that nudged the curb.  The storms are over and the weather fair.  

This is our Fall sojourn and we are lucky to be here.  All of us are lucky.  We're surviving the pandemic and making our way.  We're appreciating each day and finding moments of warmth and contentment.  There have been more scraps to gather lately, more remainders to stitch together to make a life.  But isn't the quilt of us coming along nicely?  I love being here; I love being anywhere.  

                       In peace, Nina Naomi

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment