Wednesday, September 22, 2021

A DAY FOR PLEASURE


Bridge St., Lambertville, NJ

I drove to Lambertville, NJ today for an outing.  How indulgent it feels just to write that.  When in our lives can we take off for a day of pleasure?  Well, today I could. 

My father began work at age 18 and stopped at age 64.  Almost 50 years of hard work, some years back-breaking hard work. He produced castings of molten metal in a foundry. As a lawyer, I know now that there wasn't a day when he couldn't have been injured or killed. Then he got laid off at age 40 and went to college.  After another 24 years as a school librarian he retired on a teacher's pension.  My mother taught too.  I remember him telling me he would wake up and say to my mother, also retired, "What shall we do to pleasure ourselves today?"  It might be gardening, or shelling, or golf.

I told this to my sister-in-law recently and she responded,  "I would say, what can I do to pleasure others?"  But they're the same, aren't they?  Sometimes pleasuring others is how we pleasure ourselves.  Baking brownies for grandchildren is not a chore.  My mother handmade quilts for everyone in the family. 

But today I pleasured only myself.  I drove 30 minutes through New Jersey countryside to the Delaware River.  On one side lies Lambertville, NJ and on the other New Hope, PA.  I walked the Raritan Canal and browsed in both small towns. 

Canal, Lambertville

Another post-vaccine day to be appreciated.  I hope we are all finding these.  New places, old favorites, something that pre-vaccine we were prevented from doing safely. When I had to travel for work a day like today was gold.  You may be at that stage.  When I was home with little ones a day like today wasn't even a daydream. It was diapers, cuddling, no money and never a meal out.  Now it's different.
I don't have any lessons to draw.  Just, let's take care of ourselves and each other. I hope your life is good.                        Nina Naomi


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment