Thursday, June 3, 2021

LIFT YOUR SPIRIT WITH THE SUN

Photo by Ellieelien

Sometimes we awake with unbidden thoughts.  Something that can't be undone, the very definition of the past.  Our waking minds can do that, fasten on a memory we can never account for; the unanswered "Why?"  One of those life-before and life-after events.  They're almost never good.  If big events are good they become part of the welcome continuity of our lives.  If bad, they become intrusive thoughts.  If this never happens to you, rejoice and be glad.

But if it does, here are some better ways to start the day (I speak from experience).  First, remember that thoughts come and go; they never stay.  Lie there and your mind will veer off somewhere else:  the birds outside, the dog who needs attention, a child stirring, that first sip of tea or coffee . . . .  Whether an unwanted thought is circling or not, I often awake with my husband's arm around me.  His comforting arm reminds me of the goodness of our life.  If someone is in bed with you, move closer.  Feel their body warmth.  

But alone is good too.  Burrow into the sheets.  Stretch.  Listen for the sounds of the morning.  Being on our own can be emotionally peaceful.  I have a friend whose single life is way more adventurous than mine.  Hard to admit, but when my children were at a difficult age I used to fantasize about what a life (or day) with no strings must be like.  

If you wake in darkness, guess the time.  Listen for rain.  Check the clock and decide.  Rise or turn over? If it's time to rise, maybe begin the day with a lovely splash of water on your face, and some cream to sooth your skin.  I start the kettle and let out the dog. If I grab my phone I turn to my meditation app, not the news.  Or my prayer journal.  Sit by a window with your drink and watch the daylight spread.  Are you up too early and must plan for a nap or an early night?  

If there's time to write, then nothing better.  I keep little prompts.  One might be, what in the past year have you discovered you can't do without?  I can't do without morning tea, reading in bed at night, a sanctuary bath, working outdoors, bare feet, wild flowers, feeling loved . . . .  It's a way to start the day thinking of the simple things that make us feel blessed.  Or this one, more unexpected:  what are your favorite messes?  Mine are the house after company leaves; a rumpled bed after a good night's sleep; a field too high because the daisies are in bloom; my craft table; the Christmas decorations spread out waiting to adorn the tree.  More blessings disguised as simple things.  

So what do you do to begin your day with kindness to yourself?  To lift your heart and spirit with the sun?   I bet you've thought of ways just right for you. 

By Emma Rose Tait






No comments:

Post a Comment