Monday, July 20, 2020

DOOMSCROLLING. LET'S NOT.


Project Calm, my new/old self-help strategy.  Doomscrolling,
one of those newish words that captures my COVID-19 self, although I'm more likely to have on the TV and doom-click (not a real word) with the remote.  Finish an episode on Netflix, return to live TV to check the latest new case statistics.  Texas? Florida? This is bad.  The amount of time we spend doomscrolling is proportionate to how depressed or anxious we feel afterwards. 

Thus PROJECT Calm (www.calmmoment.com), one of those magazines that lives up to its name.  Spending an hour with this magazine, and others I've written about ("27 Life Lessons," 9/14/19, "What's your Simple Winter Thing?" 1/17/19) is way better than doomscrolling.

Intuition--our sixth sense--is the theme the issue I've pictured. 

"Intuition is Seeing with the Soul." 

Albert Einstein (1879-1955) said,

I believe in intuitions and inspirations.
I sometimes feel that I am right.
I do not know that I am right.

Who would have suspected that a theoretical physicist would believe in intuition? He also said,

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
 
I bet your intuition has been there when you needed it.  Mine has.  It's startling how it has saved me.  When I have needed saving my intuition has been that sinking feeling in my gut, that fast breathing, a dizziness that tells me that somehow I needed to be vigilant and didn't know it. Now I know. When something harmful has happened, or is about to, the smallest thing can trigger your intuition. A look, a sentence, a heart-shaped emoji . . . . For me I then receive a sense of clarity from deep within; it gives me direction and purpose.  Not calmness necessarily, not peace because your intuition may be guiding you where you have not gone before, have not needed to--but purpose.  Have you found this to be true? 

My intuition has empowered me when I needed it to.  Once it kicks in, our responses are quicker.  Our intuitions are honest, emotionally powered, and give us confidence.  Lives saved, marriages too, discoveries made, adventures begun, wrongs righted (or begun to be).  Psychologists say that our intuition is our felt sense about something, based on feelings and experiences which can feel subconscious. 

When I have followed my intuition I have felt courageous.  Dr. Rachel Andre is a clinical psychologist in the UK.  She says, "Intuition in potentially dangerous or risky situations is vital."  It can help in the most private and personal of decisions.  It is a source of information not accessible in any other way.

Our intuition can produce our best moments out of our worst times.  No wonder we trust it.  So glad I picked something other than the news today!













No comments:

Post a Comment