Wednesday, July 22, 2020

ANOTHER DAY WITHOUT DOOMSCROLLING


Another morning where I found something other than doomscrolling ("Doomscrolling.  Let's Not," 7/20/20).  Yea!  I found Through the Dunes by Lucie Langston, an illustrator based in Mainz, Germany.  Take a look:


Her illustrations are charming, thoughtful, sometimes droll.  At least that's how they seem to me.  She says she likes to create atmosphere and mood through editorial illustrations and comics.  Through the Dunes  is a bit about depression--certainly a risk these days.  I like the idea to "Bide Your Time and Drink Tea."  I do a lot of that.  Three cups in the morning and one at night.   

Proof:  my tea cupboard, which is quite inviting (Creme Caramel Oolong, Hazelnut Cookie and Kenya Black not visible).

Lucie says, "I need to prevent myself from sliding into depression--instead slide back to being present. . . . I try not to find a reason for feeling sleepy or down.  I accept their presence, like I accept COVID-19 is present. . . . I Can Win."

But how many cups of tea can I drink? she wonders. 



I like Lucie's idea of sliding back to being present.  We all get how we can slide into depression.  We're doing well and then there's that one-thing-too-many. All of a sudden we're blue--the background color of Lucie's illustrations here.   But if we can just slide back to being present?  Hmm, I like that. She says she accepts that Covid-19 is here.  One of the writing prompts ("Journey of Self-Perception," 7/11/20, 7/20/20) began "I accept that . . . ."  An important step toward good mental health, yes?  You can find Through the Dunes at www.nytimes.com>2020/7/20>opinion>coronavirus-anxiety. 

I wonder what good thing I'll find tomorrow.

Illustrations by Lucie Langston










No comments:

Post a Comment