Monday, July 20, 2020

JOURNEY OF SELF-PERCEPTION, PART 2


In Part 1, I shared writing prompts designed to help express difficult emotions (Journey of Self-Perception, 7/11/20).  The prompts are from a clinical trial to measure whether expressive writing can help build resilience during a time of crisis, such as this pandemic. 

Since the trial I've done a bit of research on this; studies measuring biochemical markers show that expressive writing has the potential to boost our immune systems.  So mental health and physical well-being.  This is good for us.  Those of us who took part found it valuable in all sorts of ways; the Zoom chats showed that.  So I am passing on some of the exercises.  If you like to write anyway, I bet you'll find this worthwhile too. 

The instructions again are to respond for 15-20 minutes and write non-judgmentally, with kindness for yourself.  The idea is to look toward intentionally cultivating compassion, forgiveness, and an attitude of mindfulness; all while writing about what is most important and emotionally significant to you (for some--or even many--this may be something other than this pandemic).

1.  Compassionate Letter--Imagine someone you love is experiencing the same challenges that you are: a real or imagined person. (I addressed my letter to "Friend of My Heart.")  Write a letter of encouragement. Words of comfort and hope.  What might you encourage them to forgive themselves for? Write based upon your own experiences and lessons learned so far, in a compassionate and respectful way.
     I loved that this was a chance to be gentle and hopeful.  A calming moment.  Perhaps it will be for you too.

2.  Writing to Let Go--What have you discovered you no longer need?  Objects, perspectives, outdated beliefs, toxic relationships?  What could you forgive yourself or others for?  What can you release that would allow you to move forward with a lighter heart?

3.  Mindful Writing, Acceptance--describing your acceptance of things and yourself as they are, not as you wish or think they should be.  This does not mean that you are passive or satisfied.  Rather, mindful acceptance is simply describing to yourself how things really are with you in the present moment.  Begin each sentence with "I accept that . . . ." 

When I have time (a problem, but less so these days) I'm going to respond to the mindful writing prompts again, without looking at what I wrote before.  After all, a journey of self-perception isn't static is it?  I'll follow my intuition.

INTUITION IS SEEING WITH THE SOUL.
















No comments:

Post a Comment