Whatever the date, this is the first day of Fall at our house. I'm in a wool sweater tonight, waiting to go to friends' house. This morning I needed my Shetland blanket from Keswick, UK to snuggle under and drink my tea. It rained all day . . . all day. Fall for sure. Cozy in Fall means a chill in the air, hickory nuts and acorns buried amongst the leaves, perennial shoots of cedar, holly and mahonia at random and mushrooms of all shades and sizes. there's no ivy, ever, because it nourishes the deer. Mums are protected by whatever spray I use. Winter pansies will be set out soon.
The weather also reminds me of past seasons. A change in the weather has a tendency to do that, doesn't it? For example, when we lived in a cold parsonage in farmland Illinois, life was gentlest after baths, two babies balanced in my arms in an old platform rocker. It sounds idyllic; writing can do that. Pick and choose and make a romantic postcard of what may have been hard at the time--poverty in a windy old farmhouse next to a graveyard, and a stay-at-home mom. The babies of those babies have called me Grandma for many years now. And yet it's a time I cherish.
What I'm wondering is what we will cherish from our present moments. You may be working hard and earning money for your family; or caring for parents who cared for you; loving someone who loves you back; or doing something else fulfilling. And if we're remembering, by definition that time is over. My days as new wife and mother are long gone.
Sometime in the future you, like I, might miss perhaps the status or challenge or income from being employed. We might miss even a rushed family dinner. We will certainly miss our parents, and the one who loves us back may have died too. Miss, cherish, remember, long for, be thankful for, appreciate--these feelings are all on a continuum, not quite synonyms. So what are we doing now--something perhaps as common as bathing the babies at nightfall--that we could raise to the level of deep appreciation and thankfulness? That we could see with our future eyes as a valuable, fulfilling or joyful moment to be cherished.
I think that is worth pondering. We all know that young parenthood passes quickly. but so do other equally challenging roles. Caring for my aging father was difficult and frustrating. Had I been more patient I might have lessened both. Working full time was exhausting; but the rewards in helping people with their legal problems were great. Perhaps I could have better balanced my stress with the relief in closing a case successfully. Hopefully right now I am loving with all my heart and soul those who love me too; holding nothing back; seeing the gift of love as fireworks in the sky.
Fall is a time to take stock. Back-to-school, back-to-work, new beginnings. Or getting ready for winter hibernation, the calm before renewal. Remembrance and blessings. Ahhh . . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment