Sunday, August 16, 2026

MIDSUMMER BLESSINGS

 

Midsummer On the Patio
Again, Family this weekend.  What a blessing.  nephew and wife and three nieces, granddaughter and us.  Also daughter-in-law.  A full house.  Tomorrow a grandson arrives, probably just for the day.  And today is my free day, also welcome. I didn't have to make the drive down I-95 or I-40 to see any of these loved ones. Just plan some meals and go with the flow. How did I get so lucky? 

I think it is because we live in an old mid-century house large enough to host; that's surely part of it.  Also North Carolina Beaches have their attraction for New Jerseyans.  I got to do crafts with almost-nine-year-old Lily all day yesterday.  We used shoe boxes and made bedrooms.  

One of our New Jersey nephews whom we seldom get to see, has Tourette's Syndrome, like our son Adam, who died from cancer at age 33 many years ago. This boy spent Saturday with his grandma Mimi and Grandpa Da cooking peach specialties and hitting golf balls.  Just what a boy with Tourette's needs--one-on-one time with a grandma and Grandpa who are unfazed by his tics.  Adam spent many a day with my husband's mother when he didn't want to go to school.  Tics are exhausting and controlling them even more so.  I used to walk with my arm tucked around Adam's neck to support his head, which was painfully lurching, a hard memory . . . . I wish we got to see this boy more. 

Was your midsummer weekend OK, or good, or difficult? Classes start for our college kids this Monday.  In North Carolina college students have to take a sport.  Our niece took walking last year! Our granddaughter is taking racket sports, starts tomorrow.  Our son, all those years ago, at 6'4" took gymnastics! Our church sponsors a ministry of listening presence.  Last week my care-receiver said that she likes her life just the way it is.  Since she is mostly bed-ridden in a nursing home, her comment might have surprised me. But she is a person cradled in the peace of God that passes all understanding.  Maybe I am too.  Maybe there is no way else to account for so many good days for a mother who lost a son to cancer.  Maybe our nephew will be such a person, cradled in the peace of God, growing up with his tics in a way that gives him empathy for others and compassion for himself.  

Spending time with family who all love each other despite setbacks, some almost unimaginable, does this--makes one thoughtful and grateful.  And a grandson tomorrow, who will soon return to St. Andrews, Scotland for his last year at University.  These are my midsummer blessings.  I hope with all my heart that you have yours.    In peace, Nina Naomi  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment