Thursday, December 14, 2023

THE NIGHT IS MORE ALIVE

"I often think that the night is more alive

And more richly colored than the day."

--Vincent Van Gogh

Right now, we have more night than day and I love it.  Maybe you do too.  Even the darker mornings are good.  I plug in the fairy lights near the entry way and up the stairs, then the tree, then my tea kettle, then the dog wants tending and the sun is still lying low between the trees.  Maybe I even light the fire that I laid the day before, and a cinnamon candle, or pine or vanilla.  I'm in a wool cardigan over favorite pajamas. 


Maybe your December morning is more hectic than mine with a workday ahead, children tumbling around or an excitable pet rather than a peacefully graying Maltipoo.  When I worked full time, my paralegal and I might leave for a day of travel in the dark.  We'd finish our work in a strange city and come outside to lights, busy sidewalks and, at this time of year, Christmas shoppers and window decorations.  The early evening was welcoming no matter where we were.  I hope you feel like this.  For many of us long nights, colder weather and Christmas go hand-in-hand.  We can tell just by looking around our neighborhoods, how creative people become with holiday lights, wreaths and sleighbells. 


My own mantle is as nice as I can make it, with greens foraged from the yard. The stars are crystalline when Mr. Wiggles goes out for his last break, the moon brighter, the sounds sharper.  Even the train trundling beyond the woods seems nearer.  With the house lights out that late, our eyes accustom to the dark and even the shadows look inviting.  I've added one of my mother's handmade quilts to our bed.  We've begun leaving our socks on under the covers for that extra warmth.  

There's a lot going on in the world that isn't good, a lot to shake our confidence in our fellow humans, a lot of needs for our energy and time.  But day-to-day, minute-to-minute, here in this very same world, we also prepare for Christmas by accepting the little gifts of red berries on holly trees, blue cedar cones, translucent mistletoe clusters and the winter sky.  We bake and ice and simmer and roast.  We plan and wrap and accept and issue invitations.  

It's a wonderful time of year.

Thank you, Lord, for another December when we celebrate your birth.  Give us hearts of compassion, strength of spirit, resilience and understanding.  Provide respite from politics in our country and war in others.  Help those who struggle for their very lives and those who grieve for lives now over.  Be with us in sorrow and joy and lift us with your blessings, whether they be sparse or abounding.  In Jesus' name we pray.  AMEN 


   





 

No comments:

Post a Comment