Sunday, December 17, 2023

FINDING GRACE AT ANY AGE--HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

bella GRACE

A place of inspiration:  bella GRACE magazine has an article this issue where readers tell what they like about their age.  Uplifting and insightful, something good for all of us.  What could be a better holiday present than to find contentment in our own skin, to cherish our age and see its benefits?  I hope you like this sampling.

Franz Kafka
  • Almost every reader looks at age as a blessing, a gift denied to many.  One says, "I truly believe with each year I learn more about myself and love myself even more than the last."
  • The fear-of-missing-out has shifted.  We don't fear missing out on late-night adventures.  We want to catch each moment that unfolds during the day: "The tomatoes on the vine in the sunlight; that feeling just before the sun sets.  It's a different type of noticing than when [we were] younger."
  • About to be 25, one reader says that it's a great time to make mistakes, to mess up and learn from it.
  • We care more about the quality of friendships.  We love deeper and with more maturity. 
  • A 29-year-old used to try to like what her friends did.  Now she takes pride in being "the girl who likes gardening, slow living, and being surrounded by nature."
  • On the cusp of 70, a woman begins to study cloud formations, moon phases, and the night sky; to identify birds; to notice the changing light of the seasons.  She says, "It's never too late to find your place in this magical world." 
  • One reader sheds her multitasking lifestyle. 
  • Another writes, "Most of my wants are gone.  I no longer walk into a store and desire more stuff." 
  • We treat our bodies with more respect.  
  • As the decades add up, we don't see them as ominous, as the dark clouds of old age.  We see them as opportunities to lean into our passions.  We are not afraid of the future, however long or brief. 
  • Most find that with age comes reflection and insight.  We understand ourselves and our choices better.  We don't take blessings for granted.  
  • One woman says, "I am pro-age. . . . Growing older is a privilege I intend to enjoy." 
  • Over and over:  "What's not to like about being 38?"  "about being 55?"  "about being 73?"  We feel content with our age and serene.  
  • A few say, "I feel blessed to get older each year.  My parents never got to be this age."  
  • Someone with depression and anxiety says, "I am pushing myself to do better without hurting myself."  She is 24 and strong.  
  • Someone over 80 says, "I'm ready to go but not homesick for heaven." 
  • Someone who wanted to be like her grandmother, now is. 
  • Everyone who is standing on the far side of cancer finds wonder each morning, every day a gift to unwrap, gentleness and kindness toward self and others.  One says, "Cancer taught me courage."  
  • Another, "Now my alone time is my favorite time." 
  • Or "My Baba lived with contentment, peace and deep faith.  Now I am Baba."
  • Or "The world is your oyster during that little window between raising one generation and awaiting the next."  
  • Many like the freedom of having more money that age brings, when it does.  
  • Giving oneself permission to slow down is a theme.  So is making or leaving the world a better place.  
  • "I'm very happy at 70."  "I'm a fabulous 50."  "I love being 61."  " I feel like my awkward stage is behind me."  "I'm in my 30s right now and feel and act braver than ever before."  "I turned 70 and my life has never been richer."  "At 45 I feel like I am just getting started." 
  • "Age gives me the opportunity to pursue life."  "I'm embracing every life lesson."  
Each of these resonates with me.  Each is its own Christmas gift, to feel whole or fabulous or happy or content or brave.  Each of these persons sees who they are and is thankful.  May you and I be thankful too.  In peace, Nina Naomi

Duke Chapel





















  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment