Monday, February 13, 2023

FEELING CONTENT

We are at the beach this weekend.  Maybe you live on or near the water.  I don't.  I must travel, but only 3 1/2 hours.  Not much at all, especially if I knit or doze as my husband drives.  North Carolina is ocean to the east and mountains to the west and lovely rolling Piedmont with lakes and rivers in between, where our family lives.  I've been feeling content all weekend.  It's been rainy, deserted and cold.  The doves sit in pairs on the power line not bothered by the weather.  Yesterday sun for no more than 30 minutes.  But then right at sunset, out it shone, bright and round and gone in minutes.  The waves have been high with spray making it feel like rain even when there's a lull.  Mr. Wiggles is not enjoying his walks.

Now today the sun is out, warming the air but still leaving a chill.  This afternoon the pelicans are skimming the water and the shore birds gather.  In February the sun still drops into the ocean and tonight should be a red sunset.  We can all discover the patterns of light and dark in our own backyards. We know where to look for shadows and where the mushrooms sprout.  I'm expecting a starry night.  

I came across a quote that resonates:  "I felt once more how simple and frugal a thing is happiness:  a glass of wine, a roast chestnut, a wretched little brazier, the sound of the sea.  Nothing else."  The quote is by Nikos Kazantzakis (1883-1957), nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature nine different times.  Many of us know his Last Temptation of Christ or Zorba the Greek.  

Don't you love the truth of his statement, that happiness is simple and frugal?  That's how it is in my life.  It doesn't take much.  I can be happy with a grilled pimento cheese sandwich or a plate of crispy Brussel sprouts.  An ocean view is a bonus.  A day in the woods, rejuvenating.  At home, geese flying noisily overhead are an everyday treat.  Here at the beach the patterns of pelicans enchant.  When in New York City, we too eat roast chestnuts, from street vendors.  We were in Greece long ago and I can picture the meats roasting on a brazier.  Not much different from the nights we decide to grill.  I can picture the village where Kazantzakis must have sat with his wine watching the sea and talking with friends.  And aren't we the same, happy with a simple meal with friends or family?  

There is never a day beyond redemption.  Some days we can change our circumstances, some we cannot.  Then we redeem the day with simple pleasures, sparing and economical.  Not that long ago, I had a day that needed redeeming, so I went to our Farmer's Market.  Rows of colorful produce and homegrown flowers can lift anyone's mood.  People at a Farmer's Market are happy--it's noticeable.  I had my Journal with me and sat next in our downtown library to write out my early morning's grievances. That helped.  Then I sought out an art co-op to admire the work of artists in their studios.  

Once home from the beach, I want to keep this mood.  After all, our homes themselves are hobbies, offering simple pleasures like doing repairs, weeding the garden, rearranging a picture or two, adding a warm throw for comfort and style, polishing this or that.

I read that simplicity and abundance are soulmates.  I bet Mr. Kazantzakis would agree.  If you pray, a prayer might be:  Dear God, help us love the simple pleasures you so freely give.                        

                                                      Wishing you a lovely day, Nina Naomi

                                         




No comments:

Post a Comment