Thursday, December 22, 2022

YOUR OWN CHRISTMAS CHAOS

Yesterday the winter solstice began at 4:48 Eastern Time.  We had our longest night of the year.  It was a clear night, and the stars were out.  All I had to do was turn off the outside lights to see them. After just a few hours, I tucked in with my book and warm quilt.  It felt so cozy and comforting. My husband stayed up to watch that wonderful old movie Christmas in Connecticut.  

The last few years I have been so looking forward to this time of early darkness. As a younger person I didn't mark the winter solstice. I might look out my office window or leave a deposition and darkness had fallen. But I didn't know what day it was.  I was simply looking forward to the Christmas break of a few days. On Christmas Eve, the night was silent only for the length of the hymn. I was not in tune with nature.  Surely excusable for a busy person, I like to believe.     

But now I think that I missed too many solstices, summer and winter; and have promised myself that the years of ignoring these special days are over.  One gift of retirement is noticing.  Simply that:  noticing the hours, the days, the weeks, the seasons.  I expect many of you do that already; you haven't waited to luxuriate in the fulness of life. You enjoy the long summer days and the long winter nights.  Both bring us blessings.  

Now the blessing is being rather than doing; lighting fires and candles and outdoor lights and, if you are Christian, waiting for the birth of the Christ child, alone or with family and presents and carols.  What a wonderful time of year this is.  Even if some family is absent, or some alienated, let us give thanks for all that we have.  Warmth and starry nights and hot soup and gifts in the mail or under the tree and whatever else makes up your own Christmas chaos.  

In peace, Nina Naomi





No comments:

Post a Comment