Thursday, April 14, 2022

MAKING A LIFE FROM SCRAPS, PART 2

Prize Winning Quilt by Nina Naomi

Last September, lying under a quilt stitched by my mother, I got thinking about making a life from scraps (posted Sept. 6, 2021), more figuratively than literally since I can't sew.  Rather, about how we all have bits and bobs--family here and there, friends, treasures saved (a piece of baby blanket, a cracked vase), old photos, letters (if you're old enough), playbills . . . .  A kind of emotional quilt I called it.

At that time the pattern of my quilt was a furnished apartment in New Jersey where we spent the Fall.  A bit darkish, was the apartment--needed twinkle lights and candles--but a hugely rewarding change of scene with special family nearby. Aren't the best places to visit where there's family? Plus we could walk everywhere. 

Now the pattern is home in North Carolina and Springtime.  This morning I felt like the buds had waited until I went to bed to burst into glorious green.  The difference between yesterday and today was the difference between oh-it's-coming and a brilliance almost blinding.  Last night's rain had settled on each new leaf like a sparkling jewel.  

When I awoke today the birds were vying with eachother for the most melodic trills.  And now, near dusk, the sky is blue with tufts of white.  It is said that nature inspires our creativity and focus.  Surely that's so.  When I look at my mother's quilt I see appliqued tulips. I know she was living at the beach at the time she made it--retired after years of teaching in Missouri. Enjoying the splendor of the ocean and dreaming of tulips.  

There's so much healing power in nature.  If we're bleary-eyed from our screens, going outside makes all the difference.  We can feel the change in our breathing, in our step.  There's no brain-fog outdoors.  It's an anti-depressant with no bad side-effects, as simple as that.  We can become addicted to nature and be the better for it.  What else calms, soothes, inspires and invigorates and is free?  

Today is Maundy Thursday.  I went to a noon service where the altar was stripped waiting for Good Friday and the Crucifixion.  So, we have our faiths.  We have our fears for the world, foremost this Spring our fears for the brave people of Ukraine.  We have the gifts of God all around us.  My Easter Sunday will be with grandchildren.  Praise be for that. 

When I wrote about a life from scraps last Fall, I said that all of us are lucky.  We're surviving the pandemic and making our way, I wrote.  We're appreciating each day and finding moments of joy and contentment.  The older we get, the more scraps to gather and stitch.  But the quilt of us is coming along nicely. It's true. I love being where I am--no matter where that is.  I bet you do too.   

                       In peace, Nina Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment