Wednesday, May 8, 2024

DO SOMETHING LOVELY

 What are some lovely things you might like to do?  My meadow of daisies is blooming right now.  I have set out vases of daisies everywhere! 

When the news is just too much, it's nice to back away from the pain of the world and make our lives smaller.  It's healthy, too, to take a break from the visage of the former President on trial. Our psyches deserve a respite. 

So, I admit, I pick daisies.  If the stars align, we might even come to the beach, where we are right now.  Then a smaller life seems like a larger life.  Then we hear the waves and see the water, shades of green and deep blue today, graduated out to the horizon.  We turn on the ceiling fans and leave everything open.  We eat sea bass and softshell crabs and steamed shrimp with butter.  Life here is simpler, yes, but fuller at the same time.  To me, bare toes in the sand always feels expansive. 

We can make home like this too.  We can make our houses feel just so us, so only ours, different from any other house we have ever seen or been in.  That's why home shows are so popular.  We delight in having these spaces to make uniquely ours.  Our plants, the colors we choose, the views out our windows, the feel of plush carpet or slick hardwood.  If we have to move, we take Uncle Roy's rocker with us, Grandma's china and her lace tablecloth we seldom use.  At least I do.  Some people start fresh, just as brilliant. 

 My mother was an embroiderer.  She made me an exquisitely embroidered linen blouse that, except for the embroidery, has not lasted.  So, I cut out patches and framed them.  Now I think of her when I look up from my computer to the shelfie above.  

What are some lovely things you might do?  Frame something, paint something, rearrange the furniture, declutter a room or two? Walk to whatever shore is near you, whatever valley or path or hill?  Eat outdoors? Bring home flowers?  Put problems on hold and make your life simpler, smaller and more expansive at the same time.  Enjoy! 

                                      Nina Naomi

No comments:

Post a Comment