Wednesday, March 6, 2024

THAT SOMETHING WILD


 Coyotes don't surprise me, their howling far away,

Or closer but not visible.

And yet the dog's alert, my maltipoo.

He turns and waits for me before he leaves the step,

When clocks strike ten and dark it is.

My torch the only light unless the moon is full.

But last night straight across our path a red fox sauntered by.

From whence he came I could not tell 

'Till Wiggles sniffed his trail down to the boardwalk.

It had lain where I had walked that day.

I do not want a fox so close although it carried awe.

A small intake, a taint of joy 

That something wild should freely go

And pass me by without a glance.

And I should live where fox and deer, 

Fat badger, possum, Hawk and owl 

and who-knows-what reside.

All calling home where I call home, 

And none surprised by me. 

Home


No comments:

Post a Comment