Thursday, July 14, 2022

ON A SUNDAY EVENING

Feeling fine again.  The day has been full, church and prayers for others and myself.  A brunch with salmon and avocado.  An afternoon nap.  And rain, blessed rain.

The earth has been hard and thirsty, only spots of moisture around the plants that I water, small dark circles of wet earth.  But finally, hours of steady rain and now the happy noises of rejuvenated evening sounds out the open window.  

Wiggles is--surprise!--ensconced on one of his pillows.  They are scattered throughout the house because he is aging and needs a soft place for his graying self.  We adopted him out of foster care 10 years ago.  I've been telling him how much I love him and what a good boy he is.  He follows me everywhere.  Not every dog does.  Our previous rescue dog, a golden doodle we called Lucy, wouldn't come indoors.  Bad memories I suppose.  So in winter we gave her hot food to warm her tummy and put a tarp over her dog house with wool blankets inside to snuggle her up.  She never strayed.  

In the middle of sleep last night my husband of many years woke and whispered sweetly in the dark.  How could life be better?  A dog, the rain, a loving mate, Sunday and the space it brings.  And no problem on the horizon that at this moment I am tasked to solve.  A special day indeed.

Ahhh . . . there's the train whistle, distant through the woods yet near and clear.  One more thing I can rely upon.  So many simple blessings.  Thank you God.  




No comments:

Post a Comment