Wednesday, June 29, 2022

NOTHING MORE HELPFUL THAN WORDS

 

Other than a soothing bath or a massage or a close embrace, what is more helpful than words?  We live by them.  The Bible says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1  We read books and write them,  we listen to preachers and orators,  until we talk to eachother nothing is clear.  "We have to talk," begins many a crisis (or its resolution).  We define ourselves with words:  I am an optimist, I am gender non-conforming, I am a cancer survivor, I am the person who will love you for life, I am a child of God . . . . 

When meaningless words fill up our TV screens we call it "talking heads."  We have phrases for those we think talk too much:  he won't let me "get a word in edgewise" or,  she "runs at the mouth."  We look for sound advice, we tell eachother stories, we make ourselves heard, we listen carefully.  We recite mantras and  seek out inspirational quotes.  We cross-stitch them, paint them, needle-point them, collage them . . . .  

Words have super powers.  Think of when you've been hurt, crushed even.  Words did it.  Or been restored,  again by words.  "It's not your fault."   "I love you."  "I didn't mean it."  "It won't happen again."  "Forgive me."  "I forgive you."  

Maybe because I am an English major, I am always finding words to help me live my life.

  • It's normal to feel validated when someone shows us respect or wants our opinion.  But it's also easy to be manipulated, to go astray because the validation produces a glow.  Recognize the need for admiration, for relevance.  We can make wrong decisions under their spell.  I have seen that.  
  • Emotions can be triggered.  Behind every emotion lies a thought.  A profoundly disturbing response is tethered to a profoundly disturbing event.   This is OK.  Our minds protect us.  They remind us to take care of ourselves.  They remind us that the event is over.  They remind us that we have already survived it.  We need to recognize the difference between incomprehension and sadness and actual suffering.  They are not the same.  
  • "You alone are enough.  You have nothing to prove to anyone."  Maya Angelou
  • Influencers are narcissistic.   It involves excessive arrogance and the need for admiration.  Self-promotion.  Couching it as religious makes no difference, absolutely none.   
  • Respect how you spend your day.  Given all you've been through, you can choose to take it easy on yourself. 
  • Fill-in-what-you-want-here.  What I write are nothing more than examples.  Be yourself, trust yourself.  
                                                                  Nina Naomi



 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment