Tuesday, May 17, 2022

THIS IS THE WAY JOY IS

Newly Engaged, Dinner for Two

This is the way  life can be:

I once lived in a house with front and back stairways, one bathroom, coal furnace.  I tumbled  down the backstairs into the kitchen, but waltzed down the front stairs into the hall.  I thought I was Scarlet O'Hara.  How carefree  childhood can be.

I once loved a boy who drew an X by his locker and said "Here is a spot for you to stand."  I have been standing by him for decades now.  I didn't draw an X, but he stands by me too.  This is the way love can be.

I once knew not God, but God found me.  On a walk by the clock tower I knew "This is true." I was twenty years old with snow falling.  God drew the X for God's self.  This is the way my faith began. 

I once had two babies to care for.  Sometimes I miss that soft, fragrant, rambunctious time.  This is how time passes.   

I once had a son who joined my law firm and said to his clients, "This is my Mama."  What a wonderful time! Oh how hard when cancer steals a young life.

I once wanted grandchildren, precious and free.   Now I have three.   Strong,  transcendent,  faithful and kind.  My cup runneth over.  This is the way joy is.  

The house, the boy, our faith, the babies, death, grief, a new generation, blessings--all of it, all of it, the way life can be.   





 








No comments:

Post a Comment