Wednesday, October 2, 2019

"YOU MUSTN'T WISH FOR ANOTHER LIFE."

Illustration by Maria Galybina

On Life. . .
You mustn't wish for another life.
You mustn't want to be somebody else.
What you must do is this:
"Rejoice evermore.  Pray without ceasing.
In everything give thanks."
I am not all the way capable of so much,
but those are the right instructions. 
Wendell Berry, from Hannah Coulter, 2004

 On Love. . .

"But I knew too that he was thinking of me. My steadfast comfort for fifty years and more had been to know that I was on his mind. Whatever was happening between us, I knew I was on his mind, and that was where I wanted to be."   Wendell Berry, from Hannah Coulter

How oh how have I not yet read Hannah Coulter?  I am promising myself the pleasure of this novel.  Eight hundred pages of George Eliot's Middlemarch (1871) to read for my December book club.  But then on to this wonderful book.  What a lovely few months I have in front of me.  What are you reading? 








No comments:

Post a Comment