Tuesday, July 23, 2019

MINIMALISM FOR ALL

Illustration by Geraldine Sy

Minimalism.   It may mean, as much as possible, removing from your life whatever no longer serves you or brings joy.  We've all read or watched Marie Kondo and know how she unclutters.  But minimalism can be more than less  stuff. Minimalists may want to create physical and emotional space to make room for the people, material goods and thoughts that matter the most. Minimalism certainly includes living with intention. It may include limiting unnecessary spending.  It's a way to be that I'd like to be better at. I like bare wood and furniture clustered for conversation, but sparse--no sidling around tables and chairs--floor space and open windows.  An environment like this creates mental space as well, room for the heart and mind to expand some experts say. 

I'd like to see something fresh and beautiful and admire it without wanting it, whether it's the shiny newness of someone else's house or the lushness of their garden.  I'd like to clear my house (and my schedule) of things that, truth be told, are antithetical to joy. I still have ratty towels, frayed-but-not-loved clothing, too many this or that. Things I don't need, whether neatly stacked behind cupboard doors or not.  Maybe you do too. 

I saw this illustration of a minimalist room by Geraldine Sy and decided to admire it without being envious. Without wanting to take a room of mine and make it more like this one. Or wish that I could draw like a professional illustrator.  Or match colors this well. 


So I'm enjoying the beautiful repetition of shapes, the curve of the vase, the round side table and the yellow lampshade that echoes the flower pot. Looking closer I see more curves.  Her shoulders, her bottom, her head and the little round topknot.  Contrasted with all the rectangular shapes, the ladder rungs, the chest of drawers, the pictures on the wall, the computer screen, the rug and everything on it.  I've been holding on to this picture because I knew I wanted to write about it, so perfectly proportioned, all in fall colors with a touch of black. A mindfully curated drawn room.

It may be a contradiction to want more minimalism, to want more of less.   But maybe not.  That's one way to have a simple life.  Less but just right.  Not as easy to banish thoughts that don't serve as to donate clothes and Aunt Ethel's heavy sideboard.  But that's for another post.  Staying minimal in writing, too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment