Sunday, December 23, 2018

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL



Washington Duke Inn, Durham, NC


This holiday has been amazing.  My first one ever without driving from store to store.  I've hosted some twenty-five Christmas dinners for family--many of them chaotic--and chosen nearly all the gifts my husband and I give.  It's something I like doing. But because of surgery and a long recovery I can't drive or brave the mall crowds.  I can't bend, lift or twist.  Not yet.  I've missed the band concerts, the Christmas Oratorio, Sunday church, restaurant crowds, the annual faculty dinner dance, the craft fairs, The Nutcracker performance, Handel's Messiah, and all the other festive events. My husband's been on overtime helping me. I'm at home healing.  With my thoughts, a lovely tree, music playing and the dog for company.  And with the friends who visit, bring food and share meaningful conversations. Nine weeks and counting. Amazingly it's been an enriching time.

So now it's almost Christmas. I hope that everyone else has enjoyed their preparations, the ups and downs, the shopping, the Christmas pageants and all the rest.  I hope that travelers are safe.  I hope that the turkey is bought or the ham ordered or the beef marinating, the oysters, the yams and potatoes, the brussel sprouts or green beans and all the sides at the ready.  That there's enough wrapping paper and tape for even the latest shopper.  And that everyone who wants to has time for church on Christmas Eve, the greeting of friends, the sharing of peace, the bell choir, trumpet and flute, the carols, the welcoming of the baby Jesus and the quiet rendition of Silent Night as candle lights candle, sopranos hitting the high notes with ease.  May we help the poor, pray for the sick, show compassion to all and find salve for our fears and disappointments in the coming of the Christ Child.

SLEEP IN HEAVENLY PEACE
SLEEP IN HEAVENLY PEACE
 

Duke Chapel
                                                                           MERRY CHRISTMAS
                                                                              Nina Naomi






 

2 comments:

  1. So thankful for your sweet visit to my blog and to meet you and be introduced to your blog, also! I do trust you will continue to heal and all will be well with you! It sounds like you had a lovely Christmas and made the most of your quiet time. God is so good! May He bless you in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your blessing. It is the best thing we can give one another. Wishing you the same. Nina Naomi

      Delete