Monday, September 25, 2017

THE CURIOSITY OF HAVING AN ENEMY

I found out recently that I have an enemy.  I have lived a long life and never had an enemy before.  Well maybe once.  A girl in 5th grade pulled my hair so hard that I can still today conjure-up the sting on my scalp. She had told everyone that she was a princess and a friend and I made fun of her.  We were wrong and she let us know it.  I knew nothing about difficult families in 5th grade.

It's the enemy I have today that is the surprise.  It is a strange feeling to know someone who wishes to cause you emotional distress.  My grown-up experience with enemies has always been through the Psalms.  The authors of the Psalms are besieged by enemies--wicked people and liars, gossip-bearers and false tale-bearers--from whom they seek deliverance and rescue.  "Silence all my enemies and destroy all my foes." Psalm 143. 

Someone who chooses to be an enemy is deeply flawed and narcissistic. She is not used to being thwarted.  She feels superior and wrote to a friend, "Let's get together and discuss our innate superiority."  

So, someone who decides to be your enemy has friends, family, maybe even followers.  But no one should waste their time this way, acting only in service to oneself no matter how cleverly disguised. 

I hope this has not happened to you. But if you have an enemy, shut the door.  The door of an enemy leads to nowhere. 




No comments:

Post a Comment