Thursday, February 9, 2017

CANDLES AND YOUR BEST BONE CHINA


Every morning I get notifications from Pinterest.  Beautiful projects chosen just for me. But as I scroll through, almost everything I see makes me feel inferior.  Rather than being enthusiastic about all the inspirational ideas, right away I start thinking I can't keep up. (Related Confession:  some cookbooks make me feel the same way.)  Does this ever happen to you?

I have wanted to make gloves and mittens from my old sweaters for ever.  Its such a cool thing to do.  And I LOVE finger-less gloves.  They are perfect for North Carolina where it's not that cold.  You can drive, text. . . .   

But when I looked up DIY gloves from sweaters I immediately felt overwhelmed and guilty.  How many old sweaters haven't I wasted over the years?  Why haven't I made gloves and mittens for everyone in the family? Why haven't I felted my old sweaters and made purses? Are my gifts personal enough?  Is it better to give something handmade than something bought?  Do I spend too much time shopping?

This turned into a larger question: why do I feel guilty?  Then I paused.  How in the world did my mind travel from Pinterest, a really enjoyable and essentially useful website, to questions about my fundamental nature?

To redirect my mind I began gathering my stash of bone china cups.  I scour thrift and consignment shops for them.  A bone china cup and saucer of the most exquisite and delicate beauty costs only about $6.  I got out my supplies.  Time to make candles!  

I wanted to try putting sea glass into a homemade candle.  My niece lives in Atlantic Highlands, NJ, a small Victorian town overlooking New York Bay where tumbled glass from New York City washes up on the New Jersey shore.  She gathers it when she has time.  When we are in New Jersey I do too. 

Sea Glass from Lower New York Bay

The recipe for container candles is easy and there are instructions on-line.  Besides the containers you need a double boiler.  Then wax, dye and fragrance oil.  So far I have used lavender, vanilla, or cedar for a holiday smell.  Plus pre-tabbed wicks, a thermometer, stearic acid,  and Popsicle sticks to hold the wicks in place, all from a craft store.  After the wax is at 170 degree and melted, add the stearic acid, the fragrance, and the dye.  While it melts stick the wicks in the containers.  Its a bit tricky to get the wicks to stay centered. You want the ones that self-stick.  If they move, your candle burns a tad off-center--not a catastrophe.   

My first batch of candles
The addition of sea glass turned out pretty well.  I waited until the wax had partially hardened to tuck the pieces of glass in. 



Bone china has such a warm translucent quality, it is the perfect receptacle for the flame.  Once the candle has burned down, a thorough cleaning with boiling water readies the teacup for a hot drink.  Or a refill with more candle wax, which I am glad to do.  Maybe I haven't (yet) made gloves and hats and purses for everyone in the family, but I have made beautiful candles.  Some to use, some to give away. One thing at a time. That's enough for now.



1 comment:

  1. used to make candles as a girl. this made me want to again. loved the guilt part, that is me when I read a magazine to relax and de-stress. well said!

    ReplyDelete